Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sandwich anyone?

I have recently had the pleasure of being interviewed by a couple of radio stations regarding Stay For Lunch. I joined Stacy McKay on The River in Ohio and Mary in The Morning on YOU-FM out of Traverse City Michigan. Radio is a challenge for me. I tend to not find my words as quickly as I would like, especially at 6:OO AM! But gaining the experience is fun. The topic on the show prior to my visit with Mary was 'The Sandwich Generation', the challenges we face simultaneously taking care of both our families and elderly parents. I am definitely part of this phenom and last night after a particiuarily discouraging evening with my parents had a quiet contemplation and came up with this thought: If more of us made the effort to befriend people of different generations and spend time with and help these friends and enjoy these friendships as Francina and I experienced, we might not need a term such as 'The Sandwich Generation'. By sharing a sandwich with Francina on a regular basis, perhaps I helped ease her children's minds on their Mother's well being, at least over the lunch hour! Maybe it takes a village to raise a grandparent as well.

No comments: